Publisher List Price:
This book provides a comprehensive introduction to the field of scanning optical microscopy for scientists and engineers. The book concentrates mainly on two instruments: the Confocal Scanning Optical Microscope (CSOM), and the Optical Interference Microscope (OIM). A comprehensive discussion of the theory and design of the Near-Field Scanning Optical Microscope (NSOM) is also given.
The text discusses the practical aspects of building a confocal scanning optical microscope or optical interference microscope, and the applications of these microscopes to phase imaging, biological imaging, and semiconductor inspection and metrology.A comprehensive theoretical discussion of the depth and transverse resolution is given with emphasis placed on the practical results of the theoretical calculations and how these can be used to help understand the operation of these microscopes.
* Provides a comprehensive introduction to the field of scanning optical microscopy for scientists and engineers
* Explains many practical applications of scanning optical and interference microscopy in such diverse fields as biology and semiconductor metrology
* Discusses in theoretical terms the origin of the improved depth and transverse resolution of scanning optical and interference microscopes with emphasis on the practical results of the theoretical calculations
* Considers the practical aspects of building a confocal scanning or interference microscope and explores some of the design tradeoffs made for microscopes used in various applications
* Discusses the theory and design of near-field optical microscopes
* Explains phase imaging in the scanning optical and interference microscopes
Subject: Allied Health & Medical -> Medical -> General