Publisher List Price:
Unraveling the role of fusion in the universe has taken almost a century since Einstein's proof of the equivalence of energy and matter in 1905. The discovery that fusion reactions are responsible for the building of the light elements in the "Big Bang" and the subsequent development of the heavier elements in the stars and in exploding supernovae is one of the field's most exciting successes.
In this engaging book, McCracken and Stott reexamine these discoveries in astrophysics and discuss the possibility that fusion reactions are not only our sun's source of power, but may also be induced for our use on earth.
* Details the initial discovery of nuclear fusion, all related research, and today's concern over future energy supply
* Examines current attempts to create nuclear fusion here on earth
* Enhanced with color illustrations and examples
* Provides a non-technical treatment of fusion using straightforward language
* Includes technical notes for aspiring physicists
Subject: Physical & Earth Sciences -> Physics -> Integrated Sciences