Publisher List Price:
Both volumes of Parasites and Pathogens of Insects provide in-depth coverage of the interface between insect parasites and pathogens and hosts, and explore the relationships between these partners. They emphasize biochemical and molecular interactions, basic biology, and the roles of hormones, receptors, and other cellular components in modulating interactions between host insects and attacking agents. These topics also are assessed in relation to biotechnology and biological control.
In the short term, these volumes fill a void in current literature by emphasizing basic interactions at the biochemical and molecular levels. In the long term, these interactions may provide avenues for exploitation to enhance the rate of "beneficial" parasitism or to reduce the rates of disease transmission and infection of vertebrate hosts.
* Presents the latest information on insect parasites and pathogens
* Describes biochemical and molecular host-parasite and host-pathogen relationships
* Covers mechanisms of insect pathogenicity and resistance
* Provides exceptional breadth of coverage and authoritative reviews
* Special topics
* Transposable elements in insect pathogens
* Co-evolution and gene transfer between hosts and invaders
* Biological control
Subject: Allied Health & Medical -> Medical -> Parasitology