Publisher List Price:
The fungi have been major players in the molecular revolution that has transformed biology. Because they can be manipulated as microorganisms, yeast and Neurospora provide information that is difficult to acquire with plants and animals, and experimental findings with fungi often throw light on corresponding processes in plants and animals. The filamentous fungus Neurospora crassa has become a valuable model organism because of its favorable features for genetic analysis and because of the vast store of information that has been acquired during 75 years of research. This compendium provides researchers and students with a concise account of current knowledge about the genes and genome of Neurospora, setting the stage for research that will follow completion of the genome sequence.
This book, which is fully documented and abundantly illustrated, will be an indispensable tool in any laboratory that uses fungi for research in molecular genetics, classical genetics, developmental genetics, or cell biology.
* Molecular, genetic, and phenotypic information for over 1000 nuclear genes
* Genetic maps.
* Linkage group assignments for 1000 loci
* 2300 references, 68 figures
* Guide to electronic and other sources of information
* Summary information on the mitochondrial genome
* cDNAs identified from different stages of life
* Classical, cytogenetic, and molecular data, anticipating completion of the genome sequence
Subject: Allied Health & Medical -> Medical -> Genetics