2. Accuracy of a measuring device as we learned it in the lab, measures limitations in the technician's lab skills.
3. Optical density of bacterial suspension culture as measured at 600 nm in a spectrophotometer measures the density of cells in suspension.
4. A difference between antiseptic and disinfectant reagents is that disinfectants are used to disinfect biological surfaces, but antiseptics are not.
5. Accuracy and precision of an instrument is a measure of human error in using the instrument.
6. When streaking bacteria on LB plates you should always label the lids of your petri dishes with your name, date and type of bacterial culture.
7. In inoculating a tube of LB media with bacteria, you flame the rim of the tube to sterilize it.
8. A vector's multiple cloning site contains many cutting sites for each restriction enzyme.
9. Plasmids are non-chromosomal circular DNAs that are essential for the growth of bacteria.
10. The alkaline lysis method is used to isolate genomic DNA.
11. The alkaline lysis method used to isolate DNA using the silica columns, a sample taken amount from the bacterial lysate supernatant before passing it on the column should contain the same DNA as a sample taken from the flow through after passing it through the silica column.
12. Ends of DNA that are not treated with Shrimp Alkaline Phosphatase (SAP) ligate easier than those that are treated with SAP.
13. DNA is soluble in solutions containing high alcohol concentration.
14. When cloning a gene of interest into a vector using restriction enzyme method, the gene of interest and the plasmid DNA are cut by two different restriction enzymes before ligating them together.
15. When competent bacteria are mixed and heat shock-transformed with enough amount of plasmid DNA, the efficiency of transformation of that bacteria by the plasmid DNA is only as good as the competent bacterial cells used.
16. Cutting a circular non-recombinant plasmid with a restriction enzyme at the multiple cloning site yields one band on agarose gel electrophoresis.
17. In our cloning project of the KanR gene into pSKII plasmid, the orientation of the inserted gene was screened using the blue and white colony selection method.
18. Transformation of bacteria guarantees that each bacterium will contain the gene of interest.
19. In our LIFE 203 cloning project, bacteria that harbored the re-circularized containing recombinant plasmid DNAs grew on media containing ampicillin/Kanamycin
20. The 6x loading dye contains stains that make DNA visible in the Agarose gel electrophoresis Multiple Choice Questions (4 points each)
21. Precision of an instrument is measured by
a) Its accuracy in acquiring data
b) Average deviation from the mean
c) Speed of producing data
d) Deviation from the true value
e) Standard deviation
22. The desire to maintain a safe laboratory environment for all begins with
e) aseptic technique
23. A flame is used in the aseptic technique to:
a) incubate the bacteria in a warm area environment
b) kill the bacteria in the working area
c) lift the microorganisms on dust particles up with the hot air
d) burn the tube rims
e) burn the alcohol used to sterilize the environment
24. Which of the following does NOT describe a plasmid?
a) a circular DNA that resides in the bacterial cytoplasm
b) often encode for traits that are advantageous to their bacterial host
c) can be transferred from one bacterium into another
d) genetically engineered to clone genes of interest
e) needs bacterial chromosome for replication
25. A critical feature of cloning plasmids is the presence of a ___________ marker such as ___________ resistance.
a) visible and blue and white
b) Lac Y and permease
c) selectable & ampicillin
d) lethal & tetracyclin
e) none of the above
26. NAOH and SDS in P2 solution in the Alkaline lysis plasmid prep
a) separate cellular proteins
b) separate chromosomal DNA
c) denature DNA
d) break open the cells
e) all the above
27. The second step in most genetic engineering experiments is
a) ligation of the vector and insert DNA
b) isolation of plasmid DNA
c) cutting DNA with restriction enzymes
d) transformation of bacteria
e) analyzing the recombinant DNA
28. When "sticky ends" of DNA are paired, they can be joined by
a) restriction enzymes
b) shrimp alkaline phosphatase
c) phospho-di esterase
d) beta Galactosidase
e) DNA ligase
29. Which of the following is/are responsible for growth of bacteria on LB/Ampicillin medium?
b) ß lactamase
30. Lac Z gene fragment that is commonly engineered on the plasmid vectors codes for:
a) T4-DNA Ligase
b) Alpha subunit of B-galactosidase
c) Omega subunit of B-galactosidase
d) Lactose transferase
e) EcoRI enzyme
31. The blue-white screen for recombinant plasmids depends on:
a) alpha complementation of B-galactosidase
b) antibiotic resistance
c) permease activity
d) bacterial growth
e) temperature of incubation
This material may consist of step-by-step explanations on how to solve a problem or examples of proper writing, including the use of citations, references, bibliographies, and formatting. This material is made available for the sole purpose of studying and learning - misuse is strictly forbidden.1.False
3. True- not sure
7. True-not sure...