Global warming can be eliminated by planting trees, true or false? Is global warming even real? The environment is a bit like economics - we know an awful lot about it and yet are unable to predict with reasonable levels of confidence when the next disaster will strike. Forget about predicting future disasters for the moment. What about air, water, and soil pollution which we are certain about? Astronauts in orbit around the Earth can see a blanket of smog wrapped around the entire planet. And you thought pigs were the only animals that choose to live in their own filth.
A good course in environmental science will involve the following topics:
- Current Environmental Challenges
- Environmental Sustainability
- Environmental History, Politics, and Economics
- Risk Analysis and Environmental Health Hazards
- How Ecosystems Work
- Ecosystems and Evolution
- Human Population Change and the Environment
- Air and Air Population
- Global Atmospheric Changes
- Freshwater Resources and Water Pollution
- The Ocean and Fisheries
- Mineral and Soil Resources
- Land Resources
- Agriculture and Food Resources
- Biological Resources
- Solid and Hazardous Waste
- Nonrenewable Energy Resources
- Renewable Energy Resources
Students should be following the Journal of Environmental Sciences, and check out Pearson Education for a good collection of books on environmental science. McGraw Hill has a nice tutorial on environmental science available through its Essential Study Partner series. On a level appropriate for a student seeking college homework help, there is also a great online tutorial on environmental science offered by MIT's OpenCourseWare titled Environmental Earth Science.
To fulfill our mission of educating students, our online tutoring centers are standing by 24/7, ready to assist students who need extra practice in environmental science.