Questions 1 to 20: Select the best answer to each question.
1. Use of water cannons and rubber bullets is
A. a method of applying less-than-lethal force.
B. ineffective in crime control.
C. reserved for urban areas.
D. the primary force used by chronic deviants.
2. Which of the following is not a police officer classification established by Muir?
D. Rule appliers
3. Citizen complaints to a 911 call center are less likely to result in _______ than police-initiated activities.
A. guns being drawn
B. formal reports
C. the solving of crimes
4. That police behavior is influenced and shaped by culture is a belief of the _______ perspective.
5. Person-oriented patrols were the forerunners to
A. repeat-offender projects.
C. split-force policing.
D. racial profiling.
6. Studies show that when serious crimes are discovered, citizens call the police
B. after waiting five minutes.
C. after thinking about the situation for at least an hour.
D. before calling anyone else.
7. Thousands of mentally ill patients were released from state hospitals during the 1970s when
A. Vietnam veterans suffering PTSD required their slots in hospitals.
B. laws restricting involuntary commitment were enacted.
C. lobotomies were made illegal.
D. the federal government decreased funding for government hospitals.
8. Arlo and Sam are discussing the investigation process. Arlo says that during the preliminary investigation, the patrol officers search for the suspect(s) and cordon off the crime scene. Sam says that during the preliminary investigation, the investigation is turned over to detectives. Who is correct?
A. Neither is correct.
B. Only Sam is correct.
C. Only Arlo is correct.
D. Both are correct.
9. Allocating officers to programs and geographic areas is an example of a/an _______ discretionary decision.
10. When officers perform an undercover operation, they need to be careful of which of the following claims?
C. Human trafficking
D. Hate crime
11. Conflict, discretion, and knowledge of legal mandates are considered a police officer's _______stressors.
12. Responding to citizen calls by means other than dispatching a police officer is called _______ response.
B. delayed police
C. routine preventative
D. differential police
13. Vice laws are designed to
A. control morality.
B. eliminate domestic abuse.
C. prevent juvenile crime.
D. keep drugs off the street.
14. When an officer uses force too quickly or needlessly, he or she is guilty of _______ force.
15. Which of the following is the primary means a police officer has to subdue suspects?
A. Billy club
C. Soft touch
D. Oleoresin capsicum
16. Thirty percent of women murdered in the United States die as a result of
A. stranger attacks.
B. domestic violence.
C. drug-related crimes.
D. violent criminals' early release from prison.
17. Police officers typically make decisions to enforce laws based on
A. how minor the offense is.
B. their interpretation of community expectations.
C. their supervisor's guidance.
18. An external control of policing designed to maintain discipline among police officers was the
A. civilian review board.
B. law enforcement reporting system.
C. external affairs unit.
D. citizen-complaint board.
19. Works internalize norms and values of the police culture through a process called
A. legalistic absorption.
20. Brent and Jin Lee are discussing control mechanisms for police departments. Brent says that internal control mechanisms are meant to establish policies and guidelines to control officers' behavior. Jin Lee says that they’re meant to establish control from a review board or legislative court. Who is correct?
A. Only Jin Lee is correct.
B. Only Brent is correct.
C. Both are correct.
D. Neither is correct
This material may consist of step-by-step explanations on how to solve a problem or examples of proper writing, including the use of citations, references, bibliographies, and formatting. This material is made available for the sole purpose of studying and learning - misuse is strictly forbidden.
Question 1: The answer is option A
Question 2: The answer is option D
Question 3: The answer is option C
Question 4: The answer is option B...
This is only a preview of the solution. Please use the purchase button to see the entire solution