For this assignment, you will select a CAFR (Comprehensive Annual Financial Report) from a municipality in your area. You will also select an NFP (Not for Profit) entity and the related IRS form 990. You will write a paper on the CAFR and a separate on the NFP. Relate topics from our class discussions to your entity. Discussion postings should assist you in completing your deliverables. Power Point presentations based on each paper will be prepared and posted in the class discussions for discussion and comments. Additional information will be provided by your professor.
Both the CAFR analysis and the NFP analysis enable you to demonstrate your comprehension of the course subject matter and your ability to communicate effectively in writing. You are to analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of 1) a governmental entity and 2) a not-for-profit organization of your choosing. You will need to identify each organization's mission statement and then describe the extent to which the mission is being accomplished. You will need to identify criteria for the evaluation of the mission statement, measure achievement using these criteria, and offer a conclusion on the evidence presented.
Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) Instruction:
1. Select your State/County/Public School/Public Utility
2. Review their most recent CAFR and understand the accounting information and categories that are included in the statements.
3. Read the information which will show you how to prepare a CCR (Citizen centric Report) for your selected CAFR.
4. Start preparing your information from your selected CAFR and complete your paper using this format. (4-5 pages)
5. From your CCR, prepare a Power Point presentation by summarizing very important information from both the CAFR and your CCR that you think can be presented to Senior Management within the organization you selected. (3 – 4 pages)
Not-for-Profit (NFP) Form 990 Projects:
6. Select your NFP organization
7. Find their most recent IRS Form 990 online or though the organization’s website
1. This is the document that they file to the IRS annually that captures their entire operating and financial details.
2. Read the information which will show you how to prepare a CCR (Citizen centric Report) for your selected form 990.
3. Start preparing your information from your selected form 990 and complete your paper using this format. (4-5 pages)
4. From your CCR, prepare a Power Point presentation by summarizing very important information from both the form 990 and your CCR that you think can be presented to Senior Management within the organization you selected. (3 – 4 pages)
This material may consist of step-by-step explanations on how to solve a problem or examples of proper writing, including the use of citations, references, bibliographies, and formatting. This material is made available for the sole purpose of studying and learning - misuse is strictly forbidden.