In order to improve processes quality, management keeps records and evaluates processes based on these records. This type of recordkeeping is considered benchmarking. Benchmarking allows an organization to analyze variances for different types of processes. Benchmarking can also be used to improve in a continual improvement process. In this discussion, you will explore how benchmarking can be used for strategic planning.
Respond to the following:
- How can benchmarking be used as part of a process improvement procedure in strategic planning?
- What are the disadvantages of benchmarking?
- Would benchmarking work in all types of organizations? Why or why not?
- How would you explain to workers who were resistant to engaging in benchmarking that their assistance and inputs are needed for the benchmarking effort to be successful?
- Do you believe that benchmarking can lead to a competitive advantage for the organization, or does benchmarking simply allow an organization to "catch up" to the organization's competition?
- Select an organization with which all of your classmates would be familiar. Select a process in which your selected organization engages on a regular basis. Describe a company that would be considered a “leader” in the business process that you have selected. How can your chosen organization learn from the leader in this business process and improve its own performance on the process that you selected?
This material may consist of step-by-step explanations on how to solve a problem or examples of proper writing, including the use of citations, references, bibliographies, and formatting. This material is made available for the sole purpose of studying and learning - misuse is strictly forbidden.Benchmarking plays an important role in process improvement since it provides an objective value for the standards which should be achieved by the company. The standards are determined on the basis of the external factors such as competitors’ performance and internal factors such as the internal goals set by the company. As an example, if the competitor’s costs comprise 40% of sales and the company...
By purchasing this solution you'll be able to access the following files: