1. (10 points). a) Using curved arrows provide a detailed mechanism for the reaction shown.
b) Draw reaction-energy diagram for the reaction. Clearly label starting reactants, intermediates, products and the rate determining step
for the reaction.
2. (10 points). Rank the following compounds based on reactivity in an E2 reaction (1=fastest E2, 4= slowest E2). Explain clearly your
choice. (You will not receive partial points if you do not explain clearly your choice).
3. (10 points). Assign CIP priorities and determine the E or Z configuration of the following alkenes.
4. (10 points). Which is the most stable carbocation, 1 or 2? Explain why? (Hint draw resonance forms). (You will not receive partial
points if you do not draw correctly resonance forms).
5. (10 points). Predict the mechanism of each reaction and draw the products, including stereochemistry where appropriate.
+ CH3O O
These solutions may offer step-by-step problem-solving explanations or good writing examples that include modern styles of formatting and construction
of bibliographies out of text citations and references. Students may use these solutions for personal skill-building and practice.
Unethical use is strictly forbidden.