5. (35 points) The following reactions schemes are not likely to occur as written (i.e. there is
something wrong with the product). Your mission is to 'fix' the error by providing the correct product
for each reaction and identify the mechanism.
4. (18 points) Using the arrow, provide the detailed reaction conditions necessary to give the
following. You do not need to provide any starting material or product, just the reaction conditions
(see example below):
Example: Show reagent 'B' followed by aqueous acid:
a. Markovnikov addition of H2O to a double bond:
b. Anti-Markovnikov addition of H2O to a double bond:
c. Markovnikov addition to form an alkyl bromide from an alkene:
d. Reaction conditions to change 1,2-dimethyleyclohexene
e. Reaction conditions for the reduction of an alkyne to a cis-alkene:
f. Reaction conditions to form an acetylide ion from a terminal alkyne:
6. (15 points) Complete the following reaction schemes by providing the necessary product, starting
material, and/or reagents in the boxes provided. Be sure to note any regio-and/or stereocontrol in the
7. (4 points) Answer the following by providing the missing term in the space provide.
a. SN2 mechanisms are so named because they show _________________________ order kinetics in the rate
3. (15 points) Provide the mechanism for the following SN1 transformation
These solutions may offer step-by-step problem-solving explanations or good writing examples that include modern styles of formatting and construction
of bibliographies out of text citations and references. Students may use these solutions for personal skill-building and practice.
Unethical use is strictly forbidden.