1. Name four different types of pesticides and what they are used for.
2. What is pesticide resistance and resurgence?
Discuss why this phenomenon is important.
3. Define the terms genetic diversity, species diversity and ecological diversity.
4. In the field of biodiversity - taxonomy - what is the difference between lumpers and splitters?
5. When discussing environmental toxicology - what do we mean by acute vs. chronic effects?
6. When we discussed E.O. Wilson's concept of the causes of extinction - he used the term hippo.
Define this term.
7. Define the standard classification for soil horizons (layers).
Describe what each layer is composed of.
8. Why is aquaculture important to future world food supplies?
9. Regarding soil erosion.
What are the three names of the erosion caused by running water- describe them.
10. What are the three rock types?
Describe the origin of each type.
11. What are strategic metals?
Why are they significant to a nation’s security?
Name three of them for the U.S.
12. Regarding ecological restoration.
Name 5 techniques that are employed and briefly describe them.
13. What is a POP - and why are we concerned with them?
14. Why is global biodiversity of importance?
Name 3 specific reasons and describe them.
15. Why are forest ecosystems of great importance to the global climate change issue?
16. What are the three components (layers) of the Earth- briefly describe them
17. What are aquifers?
Why are they important to our water supply?
18. What is desertification, and name two primary causes for it occurring.
19. Name 4 naturally occurring geological hazards.
20. Define the terms malnourishment and kwashiorkor.
21. What are GMO’s and why are they controversial??
22. What are emergent diseases?
Name 3 of them.
23. Define the terms bioaccumulation and biomagnification.
24. Describe the green revolution - what were its components?
This material may consist of step-by-step explanations on how to solve a problem or examples of proper writing, including the use of citations, references, bibliographies, and formatting. This material is made available for the sole purpose of studying and learning - misuse is strictly forbidden.1. Name four different types of PESTICIDES and what they are used for.
1. Organochlorine: Organochlorines are insecticides, although rarely they have been used in the pest as herbicides and fungicides. The most famous example is DDT. Organochlorines exert their effects in several different ways, but in general they are neurotoxins.
2. Organophosphate: They are generally used as insecticides although some organophosphate herbicide products exist. They kill insects by interfering with the transmission & reuptake of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine (due to its effect on the acetylcholine regulatory enzyme cholinesterase)....
By purchasing this solution you'll be able to access the following files: