State the main theme or themes of a poem by Langston Hughes, and explain, using evidence from the text and from your research sources, why you think it is the main theme of the poem.
Definition of Theme:
According to Literary Devices, "Theme is defined as a main idea or an underlying meaning of a literary work which may be stated directly or indirectly . . . It is important not to confuse a theme of a literary work with its subject. Subject is a topic which acts as a foundation for a literary work while a theme is an opinion expressed on the subject. For example, a writer may choose a subject of war for his story and the theme of a story may be writer’s personal opinion that war is a curse for humanity. Usually, it is up to the readers to explore a theme of a literary work by analyzing characters, plot and other literary devices."
• Your paper should be no less than six paragraphs in length. It should thoroughly cover the topic.
• Your paper should contain a thesis statement, which by convention usually comes at the end of the introduction. The thesis statement typically consists of one or two sentences that sum up the main point of your argument or findings.
• Any information you obtain from your sources, whether or not it is directly quoted, must be correctly cited both internally and externally; otherwise, you are plagiarizing. Internal citations, which are often parenthetical, come within the text of your essay. External citations, which are listed on a Works Cited page if you are using MLA citation or on a References page if you are using APA citation, come at the end of the paper. External citations must be alphabetized.
• As a rough guideline, no more than 10% of your essay should consist of direct quotation. Use block quotation for any quotations longer than four lines.
• Be sure to use the third-person point of view. (Avoid using "I.")
• Use no fewer than five reliable sources. Your sources may be any type of publication, including Internet sources. Reliable internet sources typically have .edu or .gov suffixes. Websites with .com suffixes are oftenunreliable. Websites with .org or .net suffixes are sometimes reliable and sometimes not. An Internet search for "reliable research sources" will yield a wealth of information and considerations about your sources. You may also use personal interviews with people who have expertise in the area of your research topic.sources.
Your local community library is a great place to look for books and journals that contain literary criticism regarding theme. It's also a good place to ask the librarian to help you search for research sources.
This material may consist of step-by-step explanations on how to solve a problem or examples of proper writing, including the use of citations, references, bibliographies, and formatting. This material is made available for the sole purpose of studying and learning - misuse is strictly forbidden.
Langton Hughes has many great works which speak directly to the African American experience, both from the lens of the actual time and place of the given experience and from a place of hope and respect on the part of the African American condition, but from a spiritual place of hope and promise. If one does a literal read of the disrespect posed upon him, they may get confused as Langston speaks for a place of reverence in terms of what he feels that “tomorrow” will bring as it relates to the African American experience. ...
This is only a preview of the solution. Please use the purchase button to see the entire solution