1. A ladder 5m long is leaning against a wall. If the lower end of the ladder slides away from the wall at a rate of
0.5 m/s, how fast is the top of the ladder sliding down the wall when the bottom of the ladder is 4 m from the base
of the wall?
2. Water is flowing into a vertical cylindrical tank of diameter 6 m at the rate of 5 m3/min. Find the rate at which
the depth of the water is rising.
3. A girl flies a kite at a height 30 m above her hand. If the kite flies horizontally away from the girl at the rate of 2
m/sec, at what rate is the string of the kite being let out when the length of the string is 70 m.
4. A spherical balloon filled with gas has a leak that causes the gas to escape at a rate of 1.5 m3/min. At what rate is
the surface area of the balloon shrinking when the radius is 4 m?
5. A revolving light, located 5 km from a straight shoreline, turns at a constant speed of 3 rad/min. With what
speed is the spot of light moving along the shore when the beam makes an angle of 60o
with the shoreline? (Hint:
Make sure you are working in radians.)
These solutions may offer step-by-step problem-solving explanations or good writing examples that include modern styles of formatting and construction
of bibliographies out of text citations and references. Students may use these solutions for personal skill-building and practice.
Unethical use is strictly forbidden.